Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I Never Mind Being Called Saucy


Sarah Nelson - Slow Foodie Correspondent

If you read my article “Canning 101…..No Pressure”, you may have assumed from my comments that Iam not a fan of tomato sauce. You could not be more wrong!


I am a pasta-aholic. It’s my go-to meal. It’s a flexible starch that lends itself to a variety of flavors, and as
you may have guessed by now, I love tomatoes. I just don’t like making and then freezing sauce. As I said
in my previously mentioned article, canning tomatoes as tomatoes gives me a greater variety of uses for
my labor rather than just tomato sauce. Also, I like my sauce fresh. I can never capture the fresh sauce
flavor from frozen sauce.





Basil

Here’s how I prefer to make mine……

Ingredients:
1 quart of canned tomatoes
1 can of tomato paste
1 small onion, roughly chopped
5 or 6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
A handful of fresh basil
A handful of fresh parsley
A sprig of fresh rosemary


Parsley

Directions:
Toss all ingredients in a blender or food processor for a good spin and heat in a saucepan.

I’ve already confessed to being a lazy cook, haven’t I? It doesn’t get much easier than that.

If you like, you could add other ingredients to your sauce such as cooked sausage or peppers or
mushrooms, but this basic starter recipe contains ingredients almost always found in my pantry or
counter-top herb garden.


Tomatoes finished

Pour this sauce over the top of whole wheat pasta, and you are in for a yummy, healthy treat.

Here are the important health facts about whole wheat:

• A diet of at least 3 servings of whole grains a day can reduce your chances of a heart attack or
stroke by at least 30 percent.
• The same servings can reduce your risk of heart disease by at least 25 percent and of developing
type 2 diabetes by 21 percent.
• Whole wheat can lower your cholesterol levels and reduce blood pressure.
• Whole grain foods are cancer preventers including such cancers as colorectal, gastric, pancreatic
and some types of hormonal cancers.
• Eating whole grains on a regular basis can reduce your chances of developing asthma,
inflammatory diseases, gum disease and tooth loss.
• For more information on the benefits of whole grains, check out the Whole Grains Council’s website at www.wholegrainscouncil.org.

Happy eating!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...